Three-point Nights from Beck, Haight Give Saginaw Spirit Victory in Owen Sound

    Additional Reporting by
    icon Mar 02, 2024
    icon 0 Comments

The Saginaw Spirit (43-15-0-1) faced off against the Owen Sound Attack (26-25-5-3) on March 2nd, at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre. Owen Beck and Hunter Haight each notched a goal and two assists as the Spirit beat the attack, 6-2. Andrew Oke started in net for the Spirit, saving 27 of 29 shots, while Matthew Koprowski stopped 37 saves on 43 shots for Owen Sound.

The Spirit struck first, scoring less than a minute into the first period. Braden Haché collected a pass from Owen Beck before taking a shot from the point. The puck bounced off the left goal post and into the net to give Saginaw an early 1-0 lead. Josh Bloom was also credited with an assist on the goal. 

Joey Willis was the next Spirit player to score, just four minutes into the first. Calem Mangone passed to Braden Haché, who took another shot on goal. Willis was right on Owen Sound's doorstep to deflect the shot in right behind Koprowski.

The Saginaw Spirit continued their goal run with Owen Beck scoring with 8:55 left in the first. After collecting a pass from Josh Bloom, Hunter Haight made a backhanded pass to Beck who tipped the puck in right between Koprowski legs. 

The Attack eventually got on the board with 6:57 left in the first. Sam Sedley intercepted the puck behind Saginaw's net, passing it to Ethan Burroughs. The puck bounced off Burroughs' stick to Deni Goure in the slot, who sent it in just over Oke’s shoulder. 

Saginaw was unable to score on a late power play opportunity, but extended their lead anyway with 1:36 left in the first. Sebastien Gervais took a shot from the right faceoff dot, but an Owen Sound defenseman blocked it. The puck bounced off the wall and off the Attack goaltender for his tenth of the season.

The first period ended with Saginaw leading, 4-1, as well as outshooting Owen Sound, 19-9.With 15:26 left in the second period, Will Bishop scored his third of the season. Joey Willis made a short pass to Bishop who smashed a one timer from behind the left point, sending the puck right past Koprowski’s glove. Jorian Donovan picked up an assist on the 5-1 goal.

Bishop's goal was the only one scored in the second period as Saginaw now led Owen Sound, 5-1. The Spirit continued to outshoot the Attack, 26-20 (7-11 in the second period).

With 14:17 left in the game, Saginaw continued to add to their lead. Hunter Haight deked Koprowski to his left where he attempted to dive for the save. Haight deposited a backhand shot to make the score 6-1. Both Owen Beck and Zayne Parekh received assists on this goal as wellDeni Goure scored a late goal for the Attack, but Saginaw would hold onto the four-goal lead to the end of 60 minutes.

The Saginaw Spirit defeated the Owen Sound Attack, 6-2 while outshooting them 43-29 (17-9 in the third period).

The Saginaw Spirit will finish up their three game road trip on Sunday, March 3rd, against the Guelph Storm at the Sleeman Centre. Puck drop is at 2:00 pm.

Share on:

Comments (0)

icon Login to comment