Considering the numerous challenges encountered by small businesses, particularly in the face of increasing globalization and the banking crisis created by credit default SWOPS in 2008, it is no small feat that West Side Decorating Center in Saginaw is now popping the champagne and celebrating their 50th Anniversary throughout the month of July.
Currently located at 5789 State Street in Saginaw Township, their story begins at their first location at 1324 S. Hamilton. Elmer Fahndrich Sr. decided to open a store to compliment his thriving paint contracting business in the spring of 1966. The renovated warehouse became the retail business in the front of the building and his contracting in the back half.
Products sold included paint, wallpaper, draperies and window shades. In 1968, a second location was purchased, Collison Paint & Wallpaper at 2114 Marshall Court. Both locations serviced homeowners, builders and re-modelers and paint contractors. Four years later both locations were combined into a new constructed building on the corner of State & Court Streets (the former location of the Avalon Restaurant.)
The Fahndrich family rented out the west half to Whitehead Music Company for ten years and then the 8000 sq. foot area was the new home of West Side Decorating. Gary Fahndrich, Elmer's son, purchased the business and continues today as the firm’s president.
Over the years, West Side expanded their offerings to floorcoverings, custom blinds and interior design service. Recent accolades received by West Side Decorating include, Business of the Year, Saginaw Township Business Association. Outstanding Small Business of the Year from The Saginaw County Chamber of Commerce and Business Of The Year last month presented by The Michigan Small Business Development Center.
During the Anniversary Sale, West Side's vendors are assisting in the 50-year recognition with special promotions on paints, stains, carpeting and window treatments.
For more information, call 793-6182 or go to westsidedecoratingcenter.com